+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beretta M9 (commercial M9)

Snake on a plane

Beretta M9 (commercial M9)

I recently purchased a civilian commercial "M9".
    This M9 is most just the same that all the other 92f's and USGI M9's are, minus a few details.
    First off, some polymer and polymer coated stainless steel parts.
    The trigger is metal with plastic coating. I thought it was all made of polymer but did some reading and found it is indeed metal with a polymer coating. Same goes for the safety. The ones I was issued in the military had not polymer or polymer coated parts on it.
    The recoil spring guide and magazine release button, however, is all polymer. I'm divided on what I think of the skeletonized polymer spring guide rod but it's supposed to serve a function switching to polymer since the new shapped rod allows sand to pass through if gunked up when dirt sand gets in there when the slide cocked back and it retains less heat made out of that material.
    I got 2 Beretta Italian magazines with it. (10 versions round for CA)
    There's some more details on the new polymer parts here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92
    Other than the polymer stuff, the screws that retain the grips to the frame use a hex screw vs the flat head screwdriver ones I had on my issued Berettas.
    I'll post pics up later but it really just mostly looks like any M9.

2000 Mustang GT Vert
    2013 Ford Edge SEL

cool. i've always wanted a 92FS, along with a M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Sig P228 (M11), and Barrett .50 (M82)

Snake on a plane
    Here's some pics. Looks pretty close to most M9 92F's.

Comes with M9 proceeding rest of serial number.

Other M9 markings.

Disassembled in it's simplicity. As you might be able to see, the guide rod is polymer, not metal. I really think I'm going to swap that back for a metal one.

Closeup of the polymer coated trigger I was talking about. That will probably stay.

Only real mod I am going to do with this other than drop some metal stuff into it, is change to a lighter weight hammer spring.

At some point maybe in the early 2000's, I was told, they went with the newer polymer parts I posted about before. Mostly I don't mind but still not a fan of the polymer recoil spring guide rod.

2000 Mustang GT Vert
    2013 Ford Edge SEL

Steve, if you're going to use this for concealed carry, I would strongly caution you against modifying ANYTHING on this firearm. Not just for reliabilities sake, but also for your own legal protection. Any prosecutor would have a field day with you and your "deadly weapon that you intentionally made deadlier" Especially living in California, I wouldnt touch a single thing on that firearm. A handgun used for daily personal protection should be bone stock in factory condition

Snake on a plane
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin'Red35th View Post
    Steve, if you're going to use this for concealed carry, I would strongly caution you against modifying ANYTHING on this firearm. Not just for reliabilities sake, but also for your own legal protection. Any prosecutor would have a field day with you and your "deadly weapon that you intentionally made deadlier" Especially living in California, I wouldnt touch a single thing on that firearm. A handgun used for daily personal protection should be bone stock in factory condition
    I will take that into account.
    The parts I'm looking at swapping into it would be the Beretta factory parts. Like swapping a factory Beretta metal spring guide into it like the USGI ones I used had in them. The spring actually gets caught on the plastic polymer spring guide that this commercial version uses when I first reassemble it sometimes with this polymer spring guide (maybe its just new, who knows) plus it is not as strong/reliable as the metal one.

2000 Mustang GT Vert
    2013 Ford Edge SEL

Quote Originally Posted by MustangSteveGT View Post
    I will take that into account.
    The parts I'm looking at swapping into it would be the Beretta factory parts. Like swapping a factory Beretta metal spring guide into it like the USGI ones I used had in them. The spring actually gets caught on the plastic polymer spring guide that this commercial version uses when I first reassemble it sometimes with this polymer spring guide (maybe its just new, who knows) plus it is not as strong/reliable as the metal one.
    I think that would be fine, I would stay away from the trigger group for sure though.

Snake on a plane
    Brought it out to the river bar today. Put a few magazines of american eagle through it with zero failures. I think getting range time with it is the best mod for me right now.

2000 Mustang GT Vert
    2013 Ford Edge SEL

Quote Originally Posted by MustangSteveGT View Post
    I think getting range time with it is the best mod for me right now.
    money put into training and ammo is the best money spent vs. buying parts/goodies for your guns.

+ Reply to Thread