+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who's at Aviano?

Cobra with a hairdryer purevenom's Avatar

Who's at Aviano?

So I just got orders to Kunsan and I want to put Aviano as my follow on. Who all is there and how do you like it? Thanks
    1997 SVT Cobra
    Turbonetics .76 Turbo 11.19 @ 123

i was there, as was 89_az_ssp. i liked it, its a beautiful place and theres alot to do if you like camping/skiing/etc. there are alot of things that may get annoying but i guess it depends on your tolerance of other cultures lol. It's a good assignment and once you get settled in i'm sure you'll like it

I really miss it sooooooooooooooooo much! some things were a pain in the butt, but i miss it.

-Dawn

Go there and don't ever leave unless its another COT in USAFE or maaaabye PACAF. Probably the overall best 2 yrs in my career.

06 Black/Charcoal GT 5-speed manual
    Mods...Not enough

Did all of you take your cars with you?
    1997 SVT Cobra

crew chief
    Absolutely take your car!!!
    It's what you make of it like they always say. There is plenty of things to see and do.
    Work might not be that great for you and it is a pain in the ass a lot of times with the move in and move out and some of the cultural things but for me it was worth all the BS. You are so close to so many cool things its way worth the stuff you deal with at the base.

Less than 2 hours from Austria, 5 hrs to Munich, 45 minutes to Venice 6-8 hrs from Rome

Quote Originally Posted by purevenom View Post
    Did all of you take your cars with you?
    we took the stang over there after we got married only way devin could afford the insurance. But i dont recommend having it has a daily driver. Get a ItalianPOS while there everyone is selling them. the drivers are crazy, but they love seeing the american muscle.

Its tons of funning driving there like on the autostrade, and in the mountains TONS of awesome drives.

Man now I am really sad, I miss being there so much.

-Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by 89 AZ SSP View Post
    Absolutely take your car!!!
    It's what you make of it like they always say. There is plenty of things to see and do.
    Work might not be that great for you and it is a pain in the ass a lot of times with the move in and move out and some of the cultural things but for me it was worth all the BS. You are so close to so many cool things its way worth the stuff you deal with at the base.

Less than 2 hours from Austria, 5 hrs to Munich, 45 minutes to Venice 6-8 hrs from Rome

-Dawn

Infidel
    I would love to be stationed in Italy someday

you make a crapload more money just in COLA and your utilities. the dollar is shit right now so your cola rate will be through the roof. I want to go back to europe

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin'Red35th View Post
    you make a crapload more money just in COLA and your utilities. the dollar is shit right now so your cola rate will be through the roof. I want to go back to europe
    im still waiting for these so called through the roof COLA rates

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger00 View Post
    im still waiting for these so called through the roof COLA rates
    We were making 1000 more a month being in Europe.

-Dawn

my rent used to be 1070 dollars for 745 EURO. today i paid the rent it was 1190!!! i havent got an increase in BAH yet. the dollar sucks

i'll take a weak dollar over no cola anyday. when we left italy we were making over $800 in COLA and 300 something for utilities. came to vegas and all that stopped

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin'Red35th View Post
    i'll take a weak dollar over no cola anyday. when we left italy we were making over $800 in COLA and 300 something for utilities. came to vegas and all that stopped
    yep and now i cant go shopping

-Dawn

Sleepin N Creepin

Like I posted on the other forum

If has its good points....getting parts, good gas and oil is not one of them. Insurance is a bank breaker.

2003 Marauder, 1993 Taurus SHO, 1974 F350
    www.cardomain.com/id/shofast

Ok, so it's for sure now that I will be heading to Aviano. I got my follow on paperwork yesterday. So my question is this. Just how bad will it burn my wallet to take my Cobra over there with me? I'm trying to get an idea of what gas and insurance is gonna do to me. Thanks again guys and gals.
    1997 SVT Cobra

if your cobra is in good shape, dont expect it to return home in the same condition. italy is hard on cars. I wont tell you NOT to do it, because its fun as hell having your mustang there, but unless you can keep up with bodywork/parts yourself i would think hard about it.

as far as cost, insurance is pretty expensive. give usaa a call and have them quote you before you put your car on the boat. gas isnt much different than it is here in the states. you get gas coupons through the BX and you will get 400 litres/month which should be sufficient for you. get yourself a beater while you're there (NOT a bmw, they are expensive to maintain) so you dont have to drive your cobra everyday.

Sleepin N Creepin
    I agree with Devin as far as calling about the Insurance from USAA before you ship it. I was paying about $450 a month for liability It is rare for someone to do a tour there without getting in at least one fender bender.

It sucks leaving a car behind for that long but that isnt always a bad thing...you have to see what your options are going to be with insurance etc. If you have a loan on your car some banks wont release the car to go oversea.

400L a month wasnt enough for me so I normally paid outta pocket a little each month. My .02

2003 Marauder, 1993 Taurus SHO, 1974 F350
    www.cardomain.com/id/shofast

crew chief
    Well here is my car before Aviano in the states

And after moving to Italy doing 4 yrs. Half of which this car was my daily driver.

I think the only thing that you to worry about is making sure you can afford the insurance. For some people it rises so high they can't afford it.

Just becareful with you car don't let you better half drive it or run into some median (cough cough Devin, Jason cough cough)

+ Reply to Thread